Field Roast Apple Sage Sausage could possibly be the answer to our prayers. This is the most savory, versatile, satisfying vegan sausage I've used. Go to Whole Foods or your nearest health-food store and pick up some of this ASAP. While typical animal-based sausage pack the cholesterol, saturated fats, and ground up animal flesh into sheep or pig's intestinal casings - field roast is made simply from grains, veggies, and fruits. While these sexy sausages might get you in the mood... to eat - they'll also help keep your own sausage working. Find out why eating meat can make your sausage limp and how adopting a plant-based diet can improve your sex-life.
Here's a simple and elegant recipe to try it out with - perfect for dinner with a date, your best bro, or a skeptical carnivore:
Apple Sage Sausage with Roasted Peppers and Wine Sauce (serves 2)
- 2 Field Roast Apple Sage Sausage links
- 1-2 tbsp Earth Balance or other vegan oil.
- medium onion
- medium shallot (2 large cloves)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large green or red bell pepper
- 2 handfuls of crimini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Roughly slice or chop the mushroom, shallots, garlic, onion, and peppers
- Oil a pan with Canola or Earth Balance
- On low-medium heat, sautee the 'shrooms, shallots, garlic, onion, and peppers for about 10-15 minutes until they begin to turn golden.
- Add the White Wine, let simmer for 3-5 minutes
- Slice the sausage in half, long-ways
- In separate pan, sautee Sausage in Earth Balance, turning until each side is crispy and golden (careful not to char!)
- Plate the sausage and smother with veggies and sauce.
To pimp it, try a chardonnay with this dish, and a simple arugula salad.