1. Hipster: The Dead End of Western CivilizationAmazing article from Adbusters on the counter-cultural void that is Hipsterdom.
2. The Vegan Collection Affordable, sweatshop-fee, vegan shoes for men. The Vegan Collection is versatile - dress it up with a suit, or go with a pair of jeans. They're under $50, and 25% of profit goes to animal advocacy.
As many Alaskans already learned via media reports, 14 one-month old wolf pups recently were killed by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game in a practice known as "denning". Denning is the practice of killing wolves in or around their den, in this case by shooting them in the head. 14 adults were also killed. Please, as soon as possible, contact Alaska Governor Sarah Palin expressing your objections to this unethical and illegal decimation of Alaska's wolf population.
4. Green Depot Perhaps an alternative to Home Depot (formerly known for it's use of old-growth timber, and now it rampant greenwashing - among other shady practices) can inspire people to consider the enviroment when making home repairs and adjustments. Green Depot promises to be a good steward...that is aside from those "eco-friendly" insect killers and wool rugs. Maybe the best solution is to just not buy anything new at all. Check out Build It Green in New York - an entirely recycled/thrift Depot-style, DIY store.
5. Vegan, Lesbian Hollywood Wedding! Newlyweds and newly-vegans Ellen Degeneres and Portia De Rossi got married and had a totally vegan wedding featuring a vegan red velvet cake by Sweet Lady Jane. How was I not invited?
6. Fur Real?
Gwyneth Paltrow recently turned stomachs when she appeared draped in fur and exotic skins in a campaign for Tod's. The strangest thing about it is that she surrounds herself with vegan and vegetarian friends and family including her very own vegetarian husband Chris Martin of Coldplay. Friend Stella McCartney is pissed, Moby is pissed, and I am pissed too. Vaginally and anally electrocuting a struggling fox until it is dead is the furthest thing from sexy. Hey Gwyneth, you might want to brutally bludgeon and stomp my dog, then turn him into a giant set of furry ear-plugs to block out all the shit you're gonna hear for doing this campaign.
New York's East Village is home to the recycled eco-boutique AuH2O. They even do custom alternations on the spot with no charge!
84 E. 7th St. (b/t 1st and 2nd Ave) New York, NY 10003 (212) 466-0844 E-mail: email@example.com
8. Star Wars' Environmentalist Origin
Derrick Jensen is an amazing, truthful, and brilliant writer. But comedian? Who knew? Derrick files his grievances with the ineffectiveness of "non-violent civil disobedience" and many other the useless hoops activists jump through to change those who are destroying the planet.
10. Olympic Judo Medalist is Vegan. NBA star is Vegetarian.
I can't tell you how many times people insist that it is not possible to be a veg athlete. Who was the first NBA player to win championships with three different teams? If you said John Salley, then bravo. But you know what else John Salley is? A vegetarian. Also, Beijing 2008 Gold Medalist Ronda Rousey, who is the first US woman to win an Olympic medal in Judo, is a vegan. Click here to learn about other veg athletes.