Fact! There are 700,000 homeless people in the U.S., and 18 million vacant houses and apartments... Source
1. Turk + Taylor, Spring 09 is looking good! T+T is one of our favorite designers, who we've been following for a few seasons now. The collection is almost 100% organic cotton. Check them out! Also check out their new organic tees.
2. These shoes are golden! Cool, Vegan, fair-trade, and eco-friendly, does it get any better than that ? Jinga was started 3 years ago by two gals who give back at least 5% of sales to a social project in a Rio de Janeiro favela (shantytown) which provides activities and education to children to keep them away from gangs! (Thanks to reader Michael B. for this info!)
3. Undercover Animal Lover. This guy is an ethical vegan who risks his safety killing animals all day and shooting undercover footage so we can get a glimpse into the heavily-shrouded meat and dairy industries. Can you imagine? Read this rare interview with TIME magazine, and check his HBO documentary Death on a Factory Farm airing March 16.
4. This Sunday, March 15th, eat good vegan food and help farm animals!
Farm Sanctuary’s Dinner Night Broadway East 171 East Broadway, New York, NY 10002 Sunday, March 15, 2009 Reservations for your party are available between 7:30 and 10 p.m. Reserve your table online at www.opentable.com or by calling Laurie at 212-228-3100. Be sure to mention Farm Sanctuary when making your reservation.
5. One of our favorite organic companies, Loomstate, is having a party at one of our favorite eco-boutiques, Kaight, on Friday March 20th. Get a free Loomstate organic tee with any purchase of Loomstate S/S '09!
6. Person to know: Historian and Activist GEORGE DRAFFAN
" 'Development' is a euphemism, much like the word 'efficiency.' Efficiency within the current system is really about how fast you can turn forests and mountains into wastepaper and soda pop cans. Is that good? If the purpose of life is to consume and destroy, then international trade and industrial civilization are definitely proven ways to speed that up .”
7. Chloé Jo and the GGA weigh in on the myth that leather can be 'eco-friendly' , on the best Vegan Cheeses, and on the controversy surrounding veganizing your companion animal. Watch out for those crazy cat people! They get their claws out!
8. You might need a french terrycloth motorcycle jacket. I'm just saying....
10. Veteran vegan rockers Propagandhi talk to VegNews about their forthcoming album, Supporting Caste.