Lobster mushroom is one of Earth's strange and incredible inventions. But don't be scared off by the fact that it's actually not a mushroom, but a parasitic ascomycete (a parasite-fungus that is hosted by, and consumes mushrooms). When this delicious fungal-parasite takes over the mushroom, it engulfs it and turns it red, giving it a lobster-like appearance, and strangely, a subtle seafood taste. Thanks for mycological cannibalism, mamma nature!
This dish is like fancy-shmancy fish tacos, but vegan and minus the whole devastation of reefs and other ocean ecosystems. And unlike seafood, this mushroom will still probably be around in 2048. The crisp layering of toasted tortillas, the smoothness of the hearty kale-potato sauce, and the crispy-edged, pan-seared lobster mushroom sauteed with shallots and garlic all come together quite wonderfully. The texture of sauteed and seared lobster mushroom is tender, slightly chewy, and very satisfying. Lobster mushroom isn't cheap, so save it for a special occasion.
This dish is vegan, soy and gluten free! Mercury free, too!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED (serves 2):
- 1 large or 2 medium Lobster Mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 med-large shallots
- 2 small red potatoes
- 1 packed-cup fresh green kale
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbs olive oil (for sauteing)
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 small corn tortillas
- 1 tsp/cube unsalted veg bullion
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp cashew cream (equal parts cashew and water, blended)
- Bring a large oiled skillet to med heat.
- Half the potatoes and steam them along with the kale for about 12-15 min.
- Dice the garlic and chop the shallots and add to pan for about 5 min, mixing occasionally.
- Slice the mushroom in 1/2 in thick slices and add to pan.
- Saute for another 10-12 min, flipping the mushrooms once.
- Add the vinegar to the pan and saute for another 5 minutes, flipping the mushrooms again.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a blender or processor, combine the steamed kale, potato, almond milk, salt, nutritional yeast, and bullion until smooth.
- Half the tortillas and toast or pan fry until crisp.
- On a large plate, layer the tortilla, then kale sauce, then mushroom. Repeat for another layer, and top with the garlic/shallots and the cashew cream.