• Remember the movie Project X from the 80's where Matthew Broderick tries to save some chimps from being radiated in cruel experiments? Well, now that NASA has decided to start radiating squirrel monkeys, we may need take Matthew's lead and tell NASA to stop! Can you believe that nasty experiments like this are still being conducted?
The studies conducted at Brookhaven National Laboratory in New York will expose squirrel monkeys to repeated doses of radiation. Radiation experiments involving nonhuman primates commonly involve restraint and other cruel procedures. Monkeys, like other primates, are highly intelligent, have strong family bonds, demonstrate empathy, and, most importantly, suffer.
Genetic, physiological, and anatomical differences between humans and monkeys dramatically limit the conclusions that can be drawn from the planned studies. Ongoing studies, including those funded by NASA, already use nonanimal methods to determine the effects of low-dose radiation on human tissues. - PCRM
• Turk + Taylor, AW2010. One of our favorite organic lines, Turk + Taylor, showed their AW 2010 collection at the NOW showcase in New York. Here's some images from their upcoming look-book. Stay tuned! More to come. (And check their rad vegan model, Jayce!)
• Rock it Out: A Night to Benefit New York's Farm Animal Sanctuaries Reidy Hall @ All Souls Church New York, NY Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 7:00 PM www.allsoulsnyc.org Come out to support and celebrate two of New York's Farm Animal Sanctuaries - The Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary in Woodstock, NY (www.woodstockfas.org) and Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen, NY (www.farmsanctuary.org)! Live performances by: Jay Stolar of Julius C, Cristin Milioti, Kaylin Lee Clinton, Whitney Wolf , Melissa Lusk and Matt Roi Berger, Grace McLean, Shaina Taub, Lindsay Wolf and Neimah Djourabchi With special guest Jenny Brown, co-founder of Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary! Also enjoy wine, hors d'oeuvres, a chance to win one of our many raffle prizes, as well as homemade baked goods from our in-house bake sale! $10 pre-sale $15 at the door (cash only) Pre-sale tickets can be purchased at: https://www.mycommunitytickets.com/event_info.asp?eventid=26496
• Check this Paul Smith organic cotton hoody in gray or purple!
• Need a kickstart? Get Ready to Kickstart Your Health on March 1!
Based on research by Neal Barnard, M.D., one of America’s leading health advocates, this program is designed for anyone who wants to explore and experience the health benefits of a vegan diet. Low-fat vegan—plant-based—diets are the easiest way to trim excess weight, prevent diabetes, cut cholesterol, lower blood pressure, prevent and reverse heart disease, and reduce cancer risk. They even trim our carbon footprint.